Feeling helpless is something we all experience. We experience ups and downs throughout the course of our lives, some of which can leave a permanent dent on our mental health. Being part of a traumatic accident, experiencing the death of a close one or experiencing pressure from your boss are all examples of situations that can make you go into a state of depression. This needs to be dealt with lest it have a permanent effect on your mental and physical wellbeing. You can find the solution to these problems with the help of a good psychotherapist. A good counselor must have the following traits:
- He needs to be able to get you to trust him absolutely in order for you to open up to him completely. You can talk to him about whatever you want, get things off your chest, which is the first step towards good mental health. You can confide in him without the fear of disclosure of your deepest and darkest secrets. Sometimes a shoulder to cry on is enough to set recovery in motion.
- He needs to be able to explain the symptoms you are experiencing and what methods he is employing to put a stop
- to the symptoms. His understanding of your symptoms can reinforce the belief that your therapist knows what he is doing and this can drastically speed up time of recovery.
- He needs to be confident that his method of treatment will work. If he shows any sort of hesitation or disbelief in his prescribed therapies and medication, you are bound to pick that up, making the failure of the treatment inevitable.
- Flexibility in the method of treatment is an important factor for a speedy recovery. Not every medicine is compatible with the physiology of every patient. It is essential that the psychotherapist recognizes this and alters his conventional method of treatment to suit your needs.
- Perhaps the most important characteristic your therapist must possess is the ability to induce the hope that you will get better. This optimism is the cardinal trait that any counselor must possess for successfully treating your symptoms.
- Your psychotherapist must be compassionate. He should understand that in a world so diverse, there are cultural barriers that must be respected. Negligence of these important factors by the therapist will just add to the misery of the patient. Your counselor must also be welcoming towards people of all ethnicities and not hold any stereotypes that might affect his own performance. A religiously or culturally biased therapist can do little to understand the grievances of his patients,
- Your psychotherapist must be aware of modern ailments, for which he must continuously attend workshops and take part in training sessions. Persistent education will help him better understand contemporary ailments, which will make him more efficient than his counterparts.
The efficiency of your psychotherapist plays a major role in your rapid recovery, so contact us today to schedule an appointment with the best Psychotherapist in NYC.